Severe depression is caused by more than just a bad relationship with God
The following post by a Christian (see "Your Questions Answered" section) about depression is very irresponsible and shows a grave misunderstanding of the severity of certain cases of depression (severe depression being insanely more intense than the "Oh I went through the worst case of depression ever!" situations described by many posters on the aforementioned blog, which for the most part amount to nothing more than experiences with mild/moderate depression).
The lack of understanding about mental health issues by society in general is greatly frustrating and disturbing. People with mental health issues deserve a lot more respect than to have people like this exacerbating common misunderstandings about a severe, traumatic illness. Why do people think it's okay to pretend they know better than psychiatrists and psychologists, but not surgeons?
People hospitalized for mental illness receive on average only 1/4 of the gifts and presents people staying in the hospital for "physical" illness over the same period of time receive. Even though you only get checked into the hospital for mental illness if it is as severe as the "physical" equivalent to something like cancer or a severe heart attack, but people don't hesitate to send you flower if you go in for gallbladder surgery. Please note that I use physical in quotations because mental illness is a form of physical illness if you get hospitalized for it, but you just don't have a huge deadly gaping would on your head so no one takes it seriously.
That's right. In the case of severe depression, what starts off as an emotional problem without being treated for a long period of time starts affecting the neurochemistry of the brain and it thus becomes not only an emotional issue but also a physical one. Thus the problem is compounded, and in severe cases where the patient feels they can no longer help themselves because they have gotten so down, medication is tantamount to throwing a lifesaving device out to someone who is drowning so they can actually start kicking and working towards saving themselves (with not only drugs but therapy) instead of going under.
And then there's all the documented cases by every which way imaginable that some people are just born with a tendency toward physical depression because they are low on neurotransmitters like someone who is anemic is low on iron.
Because of irresponsible posts about mental illness, the stigma of those with said illnesses just becomes worse. It is baffling that in this day in age people do not know better. No wonder no one cares about the number of mental health beds disappearing in our hospitals nearly as much they do about those disappearing in cancer wards. That is until someone jumps off a roof because there were no beds and finally people understand that this is more than just something to do with someone "just being selfish," or not knowing how to pull up their socks, or most definitely not having a close enough relationship with God.
The lack of understanding about mental health issues by society in general is greatly frustrating and disturbing. People with mental health issues deserve a lot more respect than to have people like this exacerbating common misunderstandings about a severe, traumatic illness. Why do people think it's okay to pretend they know better than psychiatrists and psychologists, but not surgeons?
People hospitalized for mental illness receive on average only 1/4 of the gifts and presents people staying in the hospital for "physical" illness over the same period of time receive. Even though you only get checked into the hospital for mental illness if it is as severe as the "physical" equivalent to something like cancer or a severe heart attack, but people don't hesitate to send you flower if you go in for gallbladder surgery. Please note that I use physical in quotations because mental illness is a form of physical illness if you get hospitalized for it, but you just don't have a huge deadly gaping would on your head so no one takes it seriously.
That's right. In the case of severe depression, what starts off as an emotional problem without being treated for a long period of time starts affecting the neurochemistry of the brain and it thus becomes not only an emotional issue but also a physical one. Thus the problem is compounded, and in severe cases where the patient feels they can no longer help themselves because they have gotten so down, medication is tantamount to throwing a lifesaving device out to someone who is drowning so they can actually start kicking and working towards saving themselves (with not only drugs but therapy) instead of going under.
And then there's all the documented cases by every which way imaginable that some people are just born with a tendency toward physical depression because they are low on neurotransmitters like someone who is anemic is low on iron.
Because of irresponsible posts about mental illness, the stigma of those with said illnesses just becomes worse. It is baffling that in this day in age people do not know better. No wonder no one cares about the number of mental health beds disappearing in our hospitals nearly as much they do about those disappearing in cancer wards. That is until someone jumps off a roof because there were no beds and finally people understand that this is more than just something to do with someone "just being selfish," or not knowing how to pull up their socks, or most definitely not having a close enough relationship with God.
I am appalled by that person's post. shocked.
And you are so right. The stigma mental illness carries is out of hand. I know that a lot of people end up just lying about why they're sick or what they have. And they shouldn't have to.
Do you remember that fantastic mental illness awareness commercial with the man holding the baby? That was great. Whatever happened to it?
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:58 AM
JCQ,
I totally agree with you. I was shocked when I read that post. But then, nearly all of her posts outrage me. I read it as humour, rather than taking it seriously.
Heather
Posted by
Anonymous |
6:39 PM
Can you tell which link it is? I'm curious to read it since I think it's sad that some people still believe that kind of stuff...
- Sonia
Posted by
Anonymous |
3:50 PM
Just click on the "The following post by a Christian" part. :)
Posted by
Fishsticks |
12:02 AM
Hi, I am pretty sure I don't know you but a few friends have your link on their blog. I can't believe that someone could write thouse things that that lady wrote. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but...
Anyway, thank you for your words. And nice to meet you.
Posted by
Shannon |
11:16 AM
Thanks JCQ!!!
That was silly...I can't even take that lady seriously since it's so stupid.
Yeesh!
-Sonia
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:09 PM
JCQ, there is a reason we call her 'the crazy church lady'. I personally love how she believes that PMS is an actual disorder (all women are diseased?), while mental illnesses are not.
-Hellian
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:19 PM
What on earth is that woman on?? Plus, her comments section wasn't working, so I couldn't leave her the sizzling message I had planned. (Which was namely how idiots that don't know what they are talking about should keep their mouths shut. Or, in this case, their computer turned off.)
Posted by
Jen |
12:27 PM
Good Job JCQ.
Now I can't stop from checking the crazy church lady's blog every day. It's now some sick perversion of mine. It's like one of those things that is so disturbing that you just can't seem to turn your head away. Kind of like the person with two heads at the Freak Show. But rather it's some ultra-Catholic, cleaning obsessed women with a porn star's name.
She amazes me because I don't understand her. I want to send her an e-mail and ask, "Aren't you f'ing bored cleaning ALL day and serving your 'hubby' hand and foot? Don't you ever ask, 'Is this really it?'"
However, it is exam time and I may simply be looking for ANY excuse not to get work done. I mean, look at the length of this post.
-Hellian
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:44 AM