Being fat
I am getting more and more discouraged by people's attitudes toward obese persons such as myself. It seems like despite the greater media coverage on our situation, ignorance among a certain segment of the population is increasing.
Here is a typical example of what I could have taken today based on events that have happened to me as of late:
- Turn on the t.v. Some healthy person is ringing out an obese person on t.v. for needing to "get off the couch and get their butt in gear," as if this person is not worthy of human respect and has no self-control.
- Go to the pool. Swim 54 laps. Get out of the pool and hear some girl tell her girlfriend in the lockeroom that "someone of my size should not be walking around the changeroom in just underwear like others do."
- Take the elevator to the third floor of the Classroom building. Get an evil sneer from a woman going to the fourth floor for not taking the stairs. Because I am lazy. Like all fat people are. Because I didn't just swim 54 laps.
- Go get an ice cream cone that I have been dying to have all week and will be a nice treat. Run into friend who says "you know, you shouldn't be eating stuff like that. It's bad for you. You have to resist those temptations." Even though she has no clue that I have been very strict with my eating the rest of the week and this is my little reward.
I hate it. I hate it when people are ignorant. Ignorant of the drastic effect of prescribed medications on the weight of a small segment of the population who reacts differently, such as -- you guessed it -- me. Ignorant that I am not exaggerating the effects of my medications because they supposedly know better than my doctors what effect it has on me and think I'm using it as a stupid excuse. Using everything I eat or drink in front of them during the weekend as a gage of my general behavior and therefore inferring that it is my lifestyle that's causing trouble. Granted, yes, I am not perfect and I could do better and it is partially my eating habits that have gotten me where I am. But I'm still sick of them being: Ignorant because they do NOT know me and therefore don't have the faintest clue what I need to do to lose weight. Ignorant of other medical conditions causing obesity. Ignorant of my obese friends who feel that food is a severe addiction to them and that people treat them like they're "just lazy." Ignorant of what it is like to be obese and live with the consequences of ignorant people such as themselves.
Why can't people just mind their own business? Why do people always have to one-up themselves by putting other people down? Why do they have to take your every move as an example of what you are supposedly perpetually doing. Why can't myself, and other people, such as smokers, be left at peace once in a while?
I guess I am just really discouraged here.
Here is a typical example of what I could have taken today based on events that have happened to me as of late:
- Turn on the t.v. Some healthy person is ringing out an obese person on t.v. for needing to "get off the couch and get their butt in gear," as if this person is not worthy of human respect and has no self-control.
- Go to the pool. Swim 54 laps. Get out of the pool and hear some girl tell her girlfriend in the lockeroom that "someone of my size should not be walking around the changeroom in just underwear like others do."
- Take the elevator to the third floor of the Classroom building. Get an evil sneer from a woman going to the fourth floor for not taking the stairs. Because I am lazy. Like all fat people are. Because I didn't just swim 54 laps.
- Go get an ice cream cone that I have been dying to have all week and will be a nice treat. Run into friend who says "you know, you shouldn't be eating stuff like that. It's bad for you. You have to resist those temptations." Even though she has no clue that I have been very strict with my eating the rest of the week and this is my little reward.
I hate it. I hate it when people are ignorant. Ignorant of the drastic effect of prescribed medications on the weight of a small segment of the population who reacts differently, such as -- you guessed it -- me. Ignorant that I am not exaggerating the effects of my medications because they supposedly know better than my doctors what effect it has on me and think I'm using it as a stupid excuse. Using everything I eat or drink in front of them during the weekend as a gage of my general behavior and therefore inferring that it is my lifestyle that's causing trouble. Granted, yes, I am not perfect and I could do better and it is partially my eating habits that have gotten me where I am. But I'm still sick of them being: Ignorant because they do NOT know me and therefore don't have the faintest clue what I need to do to lose weight. Ignorant of other medical conditions causing obesity. Ignorant of my obese friends who feel that food is a severe addiction to them and that people treat them like they're "just lazy." Ignorant of what it is like to be obese and live with the consequences of ignorant people such as themselves.
Why can't people just mind their own business? Why do people always have to one-up themselves by putting other people down? Why do they have to take your every move as an example of what you are supposedly perpetually doing. Why can't myself, and other people, such as smokers, be left at peace once in a while?
I guess I am just really discouraged here.
Wow, that was a great blog posting. I, too, have struggled with my weight, although I suppose I was never obese. That said, I was working my way there and I'm so glad that I finally got my wake up call to change my lifestyle. But my weight gain was also because of medication (i.e. the pill). Funny how the doctor told me I wouldn't gain weight, but when I stopped using it I lost 15lbs. Hmmm...
Anyway, I find that people that make rude comments are often ashamed or insecure about themselves. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone!!! I think you're wonderful just the way you are. :)
- Sonia
Posted by
Anonymous |
4:25 PM
*big hug* you seem to need it. But I totally know what you're talking about. Weight is such a big deal in today's society. You'd think people would eventually stop judging. There was a time, when curvy was the way to be. Hell, Marilyn Monroe was a size 18 and she's still the american sex symbol.
I think we just weren't born in the right era. LOL
I do try to ignore people's gazes and comments, but it can be tough at times. I remember when I was kid, I could bully the guys around cuz they knew they had no chance against me. If only adult life were the same way.
Chin up, you've got a happy future coming your way. :)
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:39 AM
Thanks for your open and honest comments. I find it interesting that I typically do not get the same treatment as an overweight male. I do not like the societal double standard that men can be obese but that women cannot be. I also hate the idea that it is the product of laziness. If I choose to change it about me, it is for me and for my health, not for anyone else. Thanks again for your candor.
Derek out.
Posted by
Life of Turner |
1:23 PM
I realize this is a bit late of a comment, but did you ever notice that, not only is it "bad" for someone to be substantially overweight, but that it's also considered shallow (usually a "bad" thing) to not date someone because of weight. So, society bluntly tells us "you're bad if you're fat, and you're bad if you don't like fat people". So, you can only be good if you like bad people? Weird.
Posted by
Leander |
9:46 AM
I don't know if you have the time/inclination to read other blogs, but if you do I'd encourage you to check out www.fatshadow.com; Tish, who writes there, shares some similar concerns.
Posted by
Anonymous |
11:50 AM