A Visit to Staples
My friend N., who is a graphic designer and is making some beautiful invitations for my wedding, told me I should go to Staples to get some ivory-coloured envelopes. Long story short -- Staples stocks the most patently absurd items yet fails to have a typical-sized envelope in a typical colour available to be purchased. Classic crapulence of giant stores.
Before I leave to go elsewhere, I must purchase a horrendously overpriced item that only they carry because they've squashed all competition. So ize idles on over to a cashier.
The latter asks: "Did you find everything okay today?"
Now what exactly does that sentence mean? "Did I find everything okay?" I don't know. You seem okay. I seem okay. Things seem "ooooookay." Yeah, I guess everything is groovy, dude. Bah! What a hippy! (used in the Cartman sense.)
Of course, the poor teenage girl is only doing her job and working for minimum wage, so I didn't comment. I know she's asking if I found everything I was looking to buy.
So I reply politely and quite frankly: "No, I didn't."
"Ohh... well, ok..." She stares at me blankly for ten whole seconds, then checks stuff out after I finally decide I should say something or she'll be stuck gazing at me for the next half hour while the other patrons wait behind me because Staples apparently can't afford to pay some other poor teen seven bucks an hour to show clients some respect by allowing them to have their items checked out promptly instead of having them wait ten minutes in line. "It's okay. This stuff will have to do." By now, she is annoyed.
Of course, the poor teenage girl is only doing her job and working for minimum wage, so I didn't get mad at her.
But I should have found a manager and complained. Come on, if you're going to force your employees to ask that damn question, at least have a comeback for the occasional "No." And make sure they don't think I'm somehow giving them a hard time for being truthful and actually answering what they asked.
Hippies! All of them!
Before I leave to go elsewhere, I must purchase a horrendously overpriced item that only they carry because they've squashed all competition. So ize idles on over to a cashier.
The latter asks: "Did you find everything okay today?"
Now what exactly does that sentence mean? "Did I find everything okay?" I don't know. You seem okay. I seem okay. Things seem "ooooookay." Yeah, I guess everything is groovy, dude. Bah! What a hippy! (used in the Cartman sense.)
Of course, the poor teenage girl is only doing her job and working for minimum wage, so I didn't comment. I know she's asking if I found everything I was looking to buy.
So I reply politely and quite frankly: "No, I didn't."
"Ohh... well, ok..." She stares at me blankly for ten whole seconds, then checks stuff out after I finally decide I should say something or she'll be stuck gazing at me for the next half hour while the other patrons wait behind me because Staples apparently can't afford to pay some other poor teen seven bucks an hour to show clients some respect by allowing them to have their items checked out promptly instead of having them wait ten minutes in line. "It's okay. This stuff will have to do." By now, she is annoyed.
Of course, the poor teenage girl is only doing her job and working for minimum wage, so I didn't get mad at her.
But I should have found a manager and complained. Come on, if you're going to force your employees to ask that damn question, at least have a comeback for the occasional "No." And make sure they don't think I'm somehow giving them a hard time for being truthful and actually answering what they asked.
Hippies! All of them!
I so agree. Staples really isn't known for their service. I remember 4 1/2 years ago when I bought Mac tower with a DVD burner (the beginning of this whole phase). I could purchase DVD-R from TTL computers for $30 a piece. So I decided to go to Staples and see if they carried them. The computer guy laughed in my face when I asked and said if they did carry them, they'd be $200 a piece the burner themselves are $10 000. I was like "dude, i just bought a computer for $3000 that has a burner as a stock feature." his response "You mean it's a CD burner". By then I was fuming, told him I knew what I bought and followed by boycotting the place for over a year. Ever since then, I've never asked an employee there for help.
Posted by
Anonymous |
8:24 AM
best regards, nice info » » »
Posted by
Anonymous |
9:37 PM