Taquito's
I have friends who get very upset whenever there is usage and abusage of the apostrophe on casual signs. At first, I didn't understand why they make such a big deal out of it. Then I started noticing just how profound and prevalent this slacker english problem is.
I've always been a strong advocate of the "language is for communicatin', not for grammaratin'" school of thought:
- I loathe people who don't understand the impact of dyslexia on a person's ability to read and write.
- I dred people who don't know how random and sometimes stupid english syntax and grammar can be compared with most other languages.
- I frown upon people that actually think it is possible to keep the structures and rules of two or more languages in which you are fluent 100% separate, even though the human brain is wired to intuitively blend them together.
- I hate it when the english language is viewed as some high brow product of the English Academy when it is the people who build and modify it.
But this time, things have gone way too far.
We visited a huge combined garage sale event this morning and afternoon and then went to 7-11 for some drinkeys since the weather was so nice. During this time, we saw four apostrophe casualty signs without having even saught them out.
Sign at weird guy's garage sale table: "Cassette's cases -- $4.00 each"
Sign at old lady's insanely-overpriced garage sale table: "Shoe's -- $10.00"
Message on Big Gulp's 7-Up button: "Out of order. Were sorry."
Sign from 7-11 Management team on billboard: "Taquito's on sale: $3.99 for two"
I mean, come on, I can get behind someone not understanding the difference between "Chris' books" and "Chris's books," but "Taquito's?" I should have gone up to the counter and asked for two "on sales."
I've always been a strong advocate of the "language is for communicatin', not for grammaratin'" school of thought:
- I loathe people who don't understand the impact of dyslexia on a person's ability to read and write.
- I dred people who don't know how random and sometimes stupid english syntax and grammar can be compared with most other languages.
- I frown upon people that actually think it is possible to keep the structures and rules of two or more languages in which you are fluent 100% separate, even though the human brain is wired to intuitively blend them together.
- I hate it when the english language is viewed as some high brow product of the English Academy when it is the people who build and modify it.
But this time, things have gone way too far.
We visited a huge combined garage sale event this morning and afternoon and then went to 7-11 for some drinkeys since the weather was so nice. During this time, we saw four apostrophe casualty signs without having even saught them out.
Sign at weird guy's garage sale table: "Cassette's cases -- $4.00 each"
Sign at old lady's insanely-overpriced garage sale table: "Shoe's -- $10.00"
Message on Big Gulp's 7-Up button: "Out of order. Were sorry."
Sign from 7-11 Management team on billboard: "Taquito's on sale: $3.99 for two"
I mean, come on, I can get behind someone not understanding the difference between "Chris' books" and "Chris's books," but "Taquito's?" I should have gone up to the counter and asked for two "on sales."
he he he...très funny and very true. I've found that my spelling and grammar are better than many of my English friends. I wonder of being bilingual facilitates processing and retention of more grammatical rules?? Althouh I just recently caught on to how to properly use 'effect' and 'affect' :)
-marissa
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:27 AM
*if being...
Posted by
Anonymous |
10:28 AM